Monday, October 1, 2012

Want to rob a bank? Just don't show your papers and be confident that you can get help.

Illegal aliens are rising up! Carlos Garcia said their strategy is to urge people to not cooperate with immigration enforcement efforts -- whether they're in the country legally or not. I don't quite get that. If I'm in the country legally, why would I want to risk deportation by not cooperating with immigration officials? 

Let's substitute bank robbery for illegal status. We have a coalition of bank robbers who say, "Whether you've robbed a bank or not, we urge you not to cooperate with the authorities." So the local bank is held up by a 5'7" tall man with gray hair and a big mole on his right cheek. He was last seen driving a gray mini-van. By golly! I'm a 5'7" tall man with gray hair and big mole on my right cheek. And I drive a gray mini-van! But I didn't hold up the bank. Naturally, the police see me in the area and they stop me. When they ask to see my ID, I refuse, because I'm going to stand up for those bank robbers! When they ask where I was at 2:00 p.m. when the bank was robbed, I say, "Just try to drag it out of me, coppers." When they ask to search my van, I smugly say, "Get a warrant!" Do you think they might begin to suspect that I have something to hide?

Beatrice Jernigan said her friends who are in the country illegally are scared. Well, duh! Why shouldn't they be? Do you suppose bank robbers are a bit apprehensive that they might get caught?

Leticia Ramirez is here illegally. She advises people not to carry any documents showing where they were born. She says, "We want to teach the community how to defend themselves, how to answer to police, how to be prepared, and to have confidence that they're going to have help." Yes, we certainly want those bank robbers to not have any evidence on them -- get rid of those money wrappers with First National Bank on them and ditch those bills with sequential serial numbers. Yes, we want those bank robbers to know how to lie to the police. "Why, no, officer, I've never even been in the First National Bank." Yes, we want those bank robbers to have confidence that they'll get help. After all, if those banks didn't have all that money, they wouldn't have robbed them -- it's all those greedy old bankers' fault.

This world is completely upside-down!

"Protesters target 'show me your papers.'" The Dallas Morning News; September 20, 2012; p. 4A.

No comments: