Saturday, March 19, 2011

Just when you think you've heard it all . . .

I thought our society could not become more commercialized than it already is. But I was wrong. Turrentine Jackson Morrow Funeral Home in McKinney, Texas, has a new enterprise on the premises. They've opened up their own Starbucks.

When we've had to go to our local funeral home to make arrangements for a family member, the funeral director and his staff have always graciously offered us a cup of coffee while we make the decisions that have to be made. I'm not talking about that. This is a full-fledged coffee shop where their clients may purchase a latte or a caffe mocha or Chai tea, or whatever their preference.

The funeral home's excuse for this crass addition? "People find comfort in their coffee." And I'm sure Turrentine Jackson Morrow finds comfort in making a few extra bucks. They're hoping the coffee and the free wi-fi will encourage locals and those just passing through to stop in. But somehow I just can't get my thoughts around, "Let's run down to the funeral home for a cup of coffee."

"Funeral home adds little sip of heaven: Starbucks coffee." The Dallas Morning News; March 17, 2011; p. 1B.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's the craziest thing I've every heard. It's disgusting and they should be ashamed!

Anonymous said...

You are so right! It is kind of disgusting to me. They aren't satisfied with the thousands of dollars they are going to get from you. They want more!! They are pretty greedy if they can't GIVE you a cup of coffee!

Anonymous said...

Actually they do give the starbucks coffee away free to families making arrangements. The folks attending services/visitations or visiting the florist are who I noticed paying when my family needed to use them recently. Everyone seemed really pleased that it was there...