Monday, January 28, 2008

Can You Point to the Defendant?

I didn't see much in yesterday's news worth commenting on, but there are a couple of other things that really bug me.

The first is an OTC medication I buy. I noticed a few months ago that the cardboard box had a "tamper evident seal" on one end. The other end of the box was not sealed in any manner. It had only a flip top lid with no glue and no plastic seal. I thought perhaps I had picked up a box that just missed getting the seal, or that someone had removed the seal. So I checked all the boxes on the shelf. Not one box had the seal on both ends. Maybe the machine that seals the boxes was out of seals, so I checked the next month. Same thing. So I emailed the company asking them the reasoning behind sealing only one end of the box. I could just envision the pointy-haired boss from "Dilbert" saying, "We can save half the cost of seals if we seal only one end of the box!" Their reply was that starting this month, shipments will have seals on both ends of the boxes, but they didn't explain why both ends haven't been sealed before.

Have you seen the Swiffer commercial that is set in a courtroom? The witness says she saw it "on the kitchen floor." After a gasp from the courtroom, the attorney asks the witness, "Can you point to the defendant?" Well, duh! Everyone in the courtroom can point to the defendant. What does that prove? I know it's just a commercial, but they should try to get it right!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Swiffer commercial drives me crazy, too.