Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Can You Pronunce Pronounciation?

I heard a talk show host yesterday on national TV preface an introduction with, "Forgive my proNOUNCiation . . ." I'll forgive her proNOUNCiation if she'll learn that the word is proNUNciation.

I also got my daily quota of forwarded emails -- my computer will explode if I open an email with "Merry Christmas" in the subject line, there's a man dressed up like a woman hiding under my car at the mall, if I courteously flash my headlights I'll be murdered, a 30 foot alligator ate a golfer with the pictures to prove it, forward this if I love Jesus or my nose will fall off in 3 days, sign this petition against Madaline Murray O'Hair and send it to the White House, and on and on. It's an easy matter to check these things out at Snopes.com, but I guess people would rather believe the sensational story than be told the truth. In fact, I sometimes reply to the senders and tell them the real story, and I have more than once received the "mind your own business" response. What really gets me is the recycled emails -- they never die! What's more, I tend to receive the same recycled emails from the same person. I don't know if he forgets he's sent them to me already, or if he just indiscriminately hits the forward button on everything. I received one this week that dates from 1999. Over the years, this particular email has appeared in my inbox numerous times, but usually with an addition or some change from the previous time I received it. They tend to mutate as they pass from computer to computer -- names change, locations change, the friend of a friend becomes the sister-in-law of the mother-in-law -- who changes them and why? And who makes them up to begin with?

No comments: