Thursday, September 3, 2009

The Mind of a Child

Back when Obama was first inaugurated, the National Education Association sponsored a project called "Dear Mr. President." They had children write letters to the President telling him what they expected of him.

One said, "I hope that we will have no war ever again." Another said, "I would appreciate it if you would try to make this a greener planet." "Dear Mr. Obama, Please make it rain candy," wrote another."

These were written by children ages 5-12, so the naivete is understandable. If you look closely, you'll also detect indoctrination in those letters. What's not so understandable is what an adult segment of the country is telling Obama. "Mr. Obama, give me health care." "Mr. Obama, give me my food." "Mr. Obama, stop global warming." "Mr. Obama, help me buy a new car." "Mr. Obama, don't let them take my house away even though I've not made a payment in 9 months." Their requests are every bit as ridiculous as those of the ignorant chldren who participated in the "Dear Mr. President" project, but they're adults. They're supposed to know better.

"Dear Mr. President: Help!" The Dallas Morning News; February 16, 2009; p. 6A.

No comments: