Tuesday, April 26, 2011

It would be funny if it weren't so serious.

There were two letters to the editor recently that would have made me laugh were it not for the fact that they are an indication that people are falling for the Obama class-envy rhetoric.

Paula B. Dardaganian of Richardson says "joy" might be a little strong, but she's going to have to "dig a little deeper to prove I'm thankful for what I have and that my priorities are the needs of people over material choices." She says if we need to raise taxes that support social services for the less fortunate, she and her husband will have checkbook in hand. Paula gives no indication that she is aware that she doesn't have to wait for a tax increase to show her thankfulness. There are all kinds of charities and churches she and her husband can pull that checkbook out for. Perhaps she's not quite as generous as she lets on since she's waiting to be forced to show her gratitude. But wait . . . according to Jo Comerford of Northampton, Massachusetts, she's not being forced.

Jo says, ". . .it's essential that we consider growing the federal fund by asking the wealthiest and our corporations to pay their fair share." Really, Jo? "Asking" them to pay? Gosh, the tax man doesn't "ask" me. He holds it out of my check and tells me I'm paying or going to jail.

But Jo is just parroting the Democratic line. I challenge you to pay attention when the Democrats are talking about raising taxes on "the wealthy." Practically everytime, they use the "asking the wealthy to pay" phrasing. Maybe they got that from Harry "taxes are voluntary" Reid.

"A joyful taxpayer" and "Tax data show disparities." The Dallas Morning News; April 18, 2011; p. 10A.

No comments: