Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Goodbye, Miss Manners.

I've always enjoyed reading Miss Manners, because I usually pick up all sorts of little points of etiquette I didn't know. But I guess I'll officially have to quit reading Ms. Martin's column. It has degenerated from an informative social guide to a politically correct farce.

The column that broke the proverbial camel's back dealt with the quandary of a betrothed couple's friend. She didn't know if it would be appropriate for her to provide bouquets for the couple's civil ceremony. Oh -- did I mention that the betrothed couple did not include a woman?

The friend's dilemma stems from the fact that she thinks "having men carry bouquets is tacky." But having two men flaunt their abominable relationship by making a mockery of marriage is not? The friend has swallowed that proverbial camel.

Miss Manners politely suggests that the friend provide boutonnieres for the happy couple because "gentlemen do not carry bouquets." I respectfully submit that Miss Manners misses the salient point that we're not dealing with "gentlemen" here. I also respectfully point out to Miss Manners that if both "gentlemen" wear boutonnieres, nobody will know which one is the bride.

"Economical ways to fete the grooms." The Dallas Morning News; December 9, 2011; p. 1E.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It makes me want to throw up my breakfast! :S