Monday, January 30, 2012

Guard your children!

An unnamed coalition of health and education groups recently released new education guidelines for public schools.

According to the guidelines, by the end of 2nd grade, students should use the correct names for the male and female body parts. I assume this entails showing them illustrations of said body parts. If I had a second grade child, I wouldn't want anyone besides me or Mr. Essie May teaching him or her about the parts of the opposite gender. I think that's just a wee bit early for someone besides family to be talking to them about such sensitive subjects.

By the end of second grade, these so-called experts say, students should "know that sexual orientation is the romantic attraction of an individual to someone of the same gender or a different gender." Does that sound to you like they're trying to make homosexuality sound normal? It certainly does to me. We need to go back to the time when second graders had absolutely no concept of sex except for little boys thinking kissing girls is icky.


By the end of middle school, they should be able to "differentiate among gender identity, gender expression and sexual orientation." I guess that means they should be able to pick out a homosexual or a transvestite in a crowd.

By the end of high school, students should be able to "evaluate the effectiveness of abstinence." Well, duh! It's 100% effective!

If you believe that these guidelines are a legitimate attempt to provide information and not an ideological brainwashing exercise, as someone I'm quite fond of likes to say, "I have a nice Italian fountain on the Plaza downtown that I'd like to sell you."

"Beyond the birds and the bees." The Dallas Morning News; January 10, 2012; p. 12A.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good grief!