Saturday, July 28, 2012

Cruel and Unusual

Does a prison cell without central air conditioning constitute cruel and unusual punishment? A pending lawsuit against the State of Texas claims that it does. My goodness! If it does, I was subjected to cruel and unusual punishment my entire childhood and for several years in my adult life. The funny thing is, I didn't even know it!

Sandy Edwards of Coppell agrees that it is cruel and unusual. She falls back on the old WWJD philosophy. I'm not sure she really knows what Jesus would do, but she sums up by saying, "I would prefer a world in which people tried to live by Christ's words . . ."

Well, Sandy, so would I. If we had such a world, we wouldn't even need prisons at all, because all those murders and rapists and druge dealers and gang member in  there would never have committed the crimes that put them there. They are the ones not living by Christ's words, so why don't you go preach to them?

"A call for compassion." The Dallas Morning News; July 10, 2012; p. 10A.

No comments: