Wednesday, July 24, 2013

RIP, Trayvon!

I don't know about you, but I'm sick and tired of hearing about the "child" Trayvon Martin and his Skittles and tea! From all indications, he was a little punk who got more than he bargained for. If he were truly afraid of George Zimmerman, why didn't he get off the phone with his illiterate girlfriend and call 911?

And I'm tired of the President of the United States standing up and talking down to "white folks." Yes, we white folks may press our door locks and clutch our purses a little tighter when we see someone like Trayvon Martin. But, just as you say you view George Zimmerman through the eyes of your shared experience (I think that's called profiling, Barack), we white folks also have shared experiences -- I knew a lady and her daughter who were raped and tortured and the daughter murdered by a black teenager who looked like Trayvon. I knew another lady who was raped and tortured and murdered by three animals who looked like Trayvon. Another thing, Mr. President, where were your comments and your outrage over the two black thugs in Georgia who looked like Trayvon and murdered a 13-month-old baby in his stroller while his mother begged them to spare her child? Where were your comments on that one? If you had a son, would he have looked like them? So don't give me that holier than thou claptrap. Let's look at the statistics here and see who has the better basis for "profiling."

According to U.S. Department of Justice statistics, blacks commit 54 percent of murders, 42 percent of forcible rapes, 59 percent of robberies and 38 percent of aggravated assaults in this country. Ninety-three percent of murdered blacks were murdered by a black. Yet blacks make up only 13% of the population.

With all that in mind, I don't profile blacks. If a black man looks suspicious, I grab my purse and make sure my doors are locked. If a white man looks suspicious, I grab my purse and make sure my doors are locked. If I see a gang of blacks walking down the street toward me, I lock my car doors. If I see a gang of whites walking down the street toward me, I lock my car doors. So is it more likely that George Zimmerman had a legitimate concern about an unknown person of unknown race (remember, he told the dispatcher only when asked that Trayvon looked like he was black) skulking around late at night at his apartment complex, or that Trayvon Martin just didn't like "crazy-a_ _ crackers"?

I hereby resolve that this is my last comment on "justice for Trayvon." If everyone else will make that resolution, and if the media will stop covering vigils and protests and marches, then this thing will die, because the only reason it's still alive is because black media hogs like Al Sharpton are getting the attention they crave. Trayvon got more justice than he deserved -- the man who defended himself against him was brought to trial on flimsy evidence and rightly found not guilty. RIP, Trayvon!

P.S. I am also tired of people talking about the 3/5 rule as degrading to blacks when they have no clue what it is. Cynthia Timmons in her editorial about Trayvon and his Skittles said we can't hide behind trusting the system because "Article One, Section 2, of the U.S. Constitution codified counting slaves as three-fifths of a person and their descendants still have compromised rights." Uhh, Cynthia, that has nothing to do with the rights of slaves. It has to do with how many representatives would be allotted to the states. Since slaves didn't vote anyway, I think it hardly mattered to them. All the 3/5 rule said was that in counting population for the purpose of representation, they would count 3/5 of the slave population. That was a compromise between not counting them at all as the non-slave states wanted to do and counting them all as the slave states wanted to do. So if you want to look at it Cynthia's way, it was the anti-slavery people who wanted to "compromise their rights."

No comments: