Friday, January 10, 2014

Dallas County Tax Dollars at Work


Dallas County citizens just paid $15,000 for a video display above a water fountain in the Dallas County Records Building. Some years ago during renovation, remnants of the old "whites only" sign above the fountain were uncovered. Black activists decided they wanted to leave it there, and it's been there ever since.

But that wasn't enough for Lauren Butterfly Woods, some kind of an "artist." She came up with an idea. She installed a device on the fountain so that when somebody pushes the button to get a drink, a digital civil rights video from the 1950's-1960's era starts playing on the wall. I don't think I like my awareness heightened just because I'm thirsty. I'll get my drink somewhere else.

"Fountain of Progress." The Dallas Morning News; November 16, 2013; p. 1B.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stay thirsty my friends!