Monday, June 15, 2009

Casting Stones

Have you heard of Maury Davis? He's the pastor of a megachurch. According to his church auditor, he earns "an ample salary on a par with his peers," has a lovely home with a pool and volleyball court, and enjoys vacations in Florida and New Mexico. Oh -- one other thing -- in 1975, he slit the throat of Jo Ella Liles in Irving, Texas. He served only eight years in prison for his horrendous crime. Then, he began to make a living telling the story of what he'd done.

No one officially informed the Liles family that Davis had been released from prison. They heard it from a friend, then Jo Ella's son saw Davis's picture on a billboard for the church. Ron Liles said, "I'm seeing somebody who had great success at my expense, at my mother's expense. How can you not feel a little hostile?" Davis is prone to theatrics in his church -- fireworks go off indoors on the Fourth of July, and he once released live chickens to make a point. He says he doesn't believe in the death penalty. Referring to Jesus when the crowd wanted to stone the adulterous woman, he says, "I don't believe we have the right to throw the stone."

I'm tired of seeing that passage pulled out of context. Jesus did not deny the woman deserved punishment. The point he was making was that the hypocritical crowd who condemned her weren't really concerned about the sin and the law. If they had been, they would have taken her to the proper legal and/or religious authority, not Jesus. He had no earthly religious or legal authority to pass judgment. If they had been sincere, the man involved would have been in the midst of them, too. What they had in mind was tripping Jesus up. They should have known better!

If we abolish the death penalty on the basis that everyone has unclean hands, then we must abolish all penalties -- no more prison, no more fines, no more community service. After all, the Bible says, "Judge not, lest ye be judged." Even Davis admits that some criminals, including himself, deserve to die. But, he says, "I don't believe we have the right to throw the stone." Irving Detective John Looper remembers the brutality of what Davis did. He says Davis is "either making a real good living and he's conned a lot of people -- or he is truly converted. And, it's not up to me to judge him." I beg to differ:

  • I John 4:1: Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.
  • 2 Corinthians 11:13-15: For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.
Maybe Davis really has been changed. I don't know. What I do know is that whether or not he has, eight years was much too light a sentence for hitting, stabbing, slitting her throat, and leaving that poor woman to die when all she was doing was showing him a house her son had for sale. Let him do his preaching in prison where he belongs. A spiritual awakening does not bring Jo Ella Liles back. I think we better get out of this not casting the first stone mentality and start doing some judging!

"Pastor reborn, but his past still haunts." The Dallas Morning News; April 19, 2009; p. 1A.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew this man was running a circus church, complete with fireworks and rodeos. But
I have just learned about the murder and I am really struggling with it. I know that God forgives and that people can have productive lives after a crime.

I am not sure that any preacher should EVER be a millionaire. And if he was really sorry he might have enough respect for the woman's family not to be parading himself like this.

It makes me sick

Essie May said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mom said...

Aren't we all blessed that YOU ARE NOT our final judge and that HIS heart is NOT as hard as yours obviously is. Oh and doesn't the Bible say God DOES NOT look at sin the same way that we do. In other words "Sin is Sin" in God's eyes. One is not any worse than the other. So, since we were all born with a sinful nature - we all have to be forgiven.
I understand WE all look at murder with human eyes and emotion. GOD does not!
Circus church?! Judge the man by his heart NOT what he does to get people in to try and help them! I have personally known Pastor Davis since 1994 - how long have you "personally" known him to judge him the way you have? And NO, I live in Dallas, TX, not in Nashville, TN, so I am not at CS church!

Essie May said...

My goodness, Mom -- you sure got your panties in a wad! Perhaps you'd point out the specific errors and/or misstatements in my post.

You think I'm hardhearted because I feel great empathy for the family of Jo Ella Liles? What do you feel for them? Do you have no understanding about how they feel seeing their mother's murderer smiling down from a billboard and making money off what he did?

You'll have to point out the passage that says God doesn't look at sin the same way we do. I haven't read that one, or if I have I don't remember it.

The Bible never says that one sin is just as bad as another. If that were the case, why do you think God prescribed different punishments for different sins in the Old Testament? Why do you think Jesus said, "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves." Doesn't that indicate that some sins are worse than others? And you believe that, yourself, even if you won't admit it. For example, suppose you have to pick a babysitter for your children. One of the possibilities is a teenage shoplifter. The other is a serial child molester. Which will you choose?

You think God dismisses murder more easily that we, as human beings, do? Gosh, where did that theology come from? The Rev. Davis?

I haven't judged the man at all -- I've judged what he did. I don't know the man. I don't have to know him to judge what he did. The fact remains, he brutally murdered a woman. He took God's precious gift of life, and he ripped it to shreds. Can he be forgiven? Sure he can. But does he still have to live with the consequences? You bet he does.

I do not subscribe to the theory that a pastor should do whatever it takes to get the people into church. If that's the case, we'll have an open bar in the corner and a stripper pole on the platform. That'll draw in lots of people who would otherwise never set foot in a church. Don't you agree?

Essie May said...

And by the way, Mom, you better point that judgmental finger right back in your own face. I never judged Davis or the condition of his heart. You don't know me, yet you presume to know that my heart is hard. Tsk, Tsk, Tsk!