Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Do they really think they can help these people?

Probably everybody needs a helping hand every now and then. But there are some people you cannot help. The City of Sacramento, California, recently put into action a plan to clear out a tent city of homeless people. The goal is to move some of them to shelters and some of them to transitional housing. I promise you, within six weeks, these people will be on the streets again, because the "majority of residents at Tent City are chronic homeless who have lived there for years."

If they could be helped, don't you think they'd have homes by now? Most of these people have drug or alcohol problems or just plain old misplaced priorities. For example, one of the tent city people is shown preparing a meal. She has elaborate tattoos on her arms. Number one, those tattoos probably cost quite a bit. If I were homeless, a tattoo is the last thing I'd be thinking of. Number two, if I were an employer, I seriously doubt I would hire her. I don't care how many people have them, tattoos are tacky, and they project a cheap image. If you want a good job, don't mark up your body!

"'Tent City' residents may move." The Dallas Morning News; March 21, 2009; p. 8A.

No comments: