Friday, September 9, 2011

Color me surprised!

The Dallas Morning News asked some of their guest columnists for their ideas about how September 11 should be commemorated. I just glanced over the names and professions of those who were commenting, and as an experiment, I decided, before reading their comments, which ones would have a bunch of mumbo jumbo about "tolerance," "kindness," and "love our enemies." I was pretty good at it.

Emily Worland is a high school psychology and government teacher. Ah - a true liberal, I suspected. Emily says we should "shift into a lesson on how to avoid a buildup of such hatred in the future, through the promotion of tolerance and understanding of other cultures and religions." Does she mean those cultures and religions who want to blow us all up? And just whose "hatred" is she referring to?

Julie Blair is a freelance journalist. I pegged her as a bleeding heart. She says 9/11 "unleashed ill will against Muslims." She'd like to see a "nationwide day of tolerance in which students in grades K-12 spend time delving into world cultures. While differences should be discussed, so, too, should similarities." I wonder in what way she thinks most of these kids are similar to the terrorists who flew those planes to such mass destruction?

W. Michael Read is a lawyer. Without knowing what kind of lawyer he is, I couldn't predict what he might have to say. Having read his thoughts, I'm quite certain he is not a defense attorney. Michael says, "I still need about 10 more years to stop hating everything that remotely reminds me of those hijackers. Get back to me then, and until then, I'll just fly the flag, bring up some hate in me and observe 'Patriot's Day,' silently grieving for those who have lost someone because of the cowardly and sick acts of total losers." I think Michael comes a lot closer than any of the others to the feelings of the average American.

"How should we remember?" The Dallas Morning News; September 4, 2011; p. 6P.

No comments: