Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Apples and Oranges
 
Charlene Seifert of Arlington has a simple solution to gun control. She says everyone with a gun should be required to carry insurance for that gun. She likens it to automobile insurance. It's not the same, Charlene.
 
In the first place, automobile insurance is not required unless the automobile is driven on public roads. My guns rarely leave my house, and when they do, no one knows it -- I am required to keep my weapon concealed. It will be displayed only in the event my life or someone else's is in imminent danger. And in that case, I don't imagine anyone is going to stop me and ask if I have insurance before they allow me to take care of the bad guy. In the second place, driving an automobile is not a right guaranteed by the Constitution. Being able to keep and bear arms is. In the third place, Charlene, do you really think the ones who are causing all the problems will buy insurance? If they are not averse to breaking the laws against murder, I seriously doubt they will be conscientious enough to make sure their insurance is up to date.
 
By the way, Charlene, the nutcase in New York who killed the firefighters had been paroled for killing his mother with a hammer. Should we also have to carry liability for our hammers? What about steak knives? Baseball bats? Where do you draw the line, Charlene?
 
"Require insurance for guns." The Dallas Morning News; January 3, 2013; p. 10A.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Charlene is a nut!