Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Here's what you're getting for your money.
 
Mary Baswell took nine years to get her Bachelor's degree. She is now working on her Masters. After that, she wants to get her Doctorate.
 
"I may be one of those students politicians want to get rid of. I got 'free' money for school and basically wasted a number of years and lots of money. . .I will be 35 when I earn my Ph.D. . . I'd rather go to school and be a low-income student than try to find a job as a single mom, live paycheck-to-paycheck and have far less opportunities than I'm creating for myself now."
 
Really???? In the first place, someone with a degree in English should know that it's "far fewer opportunities." I imagine lots of people would rather go to school than get a job, but they don't expect the taxpayers to foot their bills. Low-income? Does that mean she gets food stamps, WIC, Section 8, and Medicaid? I'll just bet it does! And when you get down to it, just who is it that's "creating" Mary's opportunities? I don't think it's Mary! However, I do hope Mary will remember me in her will when she decides what to do with her gall.
 
"State still working on timely graduation rate." The Dallas Morning News; May 20, 2013; p. 1A.

No comments: