Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Is her racism the only issue?
 
After the horrific bombing in Boston and the tragic explosion in West, Grand Prairie middle school counselor Karon Wright's Facebook page featured this post:
 
"It's amazing how the 'whites' get angry when Obama speaks. Oh well . . . its most of the whites who is getting blown away. So they will soon be wiped from the earth. Lol."
 
Karon says she didn't write the post. She says her account was hacked. She sent the following statement to WFAA:


"My Facebook account was hacked and the statement that was made is not of my character. I am a school counselor who will never 1) jeopardize my family, 2) jeopardize my job, and 3) jeopardize the trust of the students, parents, staff, faculty, and administration of GPISD. I am upset that this statement was posted on the WFAA website without Josh Davis nor WFAA calling the true source to get the true story. I am truly saddened by the tragedies in Boston and West, Texas. I have prayed for those cities and the families whom was impacted for I wish no such catastrophe to happen to ANYONE regardless of race, nationality, etc. This is not and will never be apart of my character or what I stand for."

Because of the post, Karon no longer works for GPISD. But the blatant racism and lack of compassion are not the only issues I find alarming here. I assume that Karon has the credentials to be a school counselor. One would assume those credentials include at least a rudimentary education in grammar and word usage. I don't find that evident in Karon's writing.

  • Karon, there is a difference between "its" and "it's."
  • Karon, "is" is a singular verb and should not be used with a plural subject.
  • Karon, "nor" should be used in conjuction with "neither."
  • Karon, "whom" is the objective case. The nominative case is the right one to use when the word is used as a subject.
  • Karon, "apart" and "a part" do not mean the same thing, and they are not interchangeable.
So, Karon, since you have some time on your hands, you might benefit from some remedial English classes.

"Counselor suspended for post." The Dallas Morning News; April 19, 2013; p. 9B.

http://www.facebook.com/wfaachannel8/posts/10151383140146545

No comments: