Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Stranger Things

Doug Goodgame of Austin doesn't like the idea of open-carry permits in Texas. He says it will be hazardous to public safety. He fears that he will be standing in the check-out line when two individuals begin to discuss the firearm one is openly carrying. "The gun owner is asked how difficult it is to pull back the slide in order to rack a round into the firing chamber. . . there are those dumb enough to attempt this racking operation in public, which can lead to an accidental firing."

Wow! First of all, you have to assume that the gun owner is not aware of the safety procedures or the law involving his gun. That is precluded by requiring those seeking licenses to take a safety/legal use course. Second, you have to assume that someone would ask a perfect stranger to show him how to operate a weapon in a crowded store. Third, you have to assume that the gun owner is perfectly comfortable taking out his gun and showing it or handing it to a perfect stranger in a crowded store. I find that unlikely -- I have a concealed carry permit, and I would never hand my gun to someone I didn't know. Especially if I were standing next to a cash register full of money. Third, you have to assume that that the gun is, in fact, accidentally fired.

If any one of those things doesn't happen, then there is no accidental firing. I suppose stranger things have happened, but I wouldn't think many have. If this is Doug's only fear of open-carry, I think he can rest easy.

"Open-carry a bad idea." The Dallas Morning News; February 22, 2014; p. 20A.

No comments: