Friday, March 21, 2014

Which side are you really on?


Jim Barnhart of Lewisville says that "although they are not denied access to any level of education, blacks and Hispanics drop out much more often and end up with much less education, and thus end up with lower paying jobs, which perpetuates the cycle of poverty for these groups."

Then he takes Conservatives to task for "branding" these people as "lazy and unproductive." Let's see . . . why do they drop out? Probably because they don't have the discipline earning an education requires. Even without an education, starting out in a "lower paying job" does not mean you have to stay there. In every place I've ever worked, I worked hard and did my best to learn every aspect of my job. I indicated my interest in learning other jobs in the company. And guess what? I generally received a raise and/or promotion. I can't think of any job I ever had that I was making the same when I left as when I started.

Being in a "lower paying job" is not a disgrace. Not having the industry and initiative to move out of the "lower paying job" is.

"The new racism." The Dallas Morning News; January 19, 2014; p. 3P.

No comments: