Saturday, May 3, 2008

Stop the Presses!

A few words from politicians and editors:

Governor Rick Perry is quoted in The Dallas Morning News of April 23, 2008: "I don't want to go to Washington. I've got a great job . . . you can do more from your prospective state . . ." I think he means "respective." I'm pretty sure we took care of that prospective state thing in 1845 and again after the Civil War ended.

April 20, 2008, Mary Madewell said: " . . .Texans split ballots among independents Carole Keeton Strayhorn and Pinky Friedman . . ." Guess she's had a little too much Pinky Wilson-- the Friedman guy's name is Kinky.

May 2, 2008 -- Eric Clifford, in urging his tax freeze ordinance presented to the Paris City Council in an initiative petition be passed, says the flaws in it are only minor and can be dealt with later. Yeah, that's what the contractor told me about the crack in my foundation just before my kitchen fell off.

Also May 2, 2008 -- Mary Madewell writes, "City engineer Shawn Napier, in his roll as staff contact, distributed . . ." Wrong role. Here's the difference illustrated in a sentence: In the new movie, Let the Presses Roll, Mary Madewell played the role of the managing editor -- but not very convincingly.

No comments: