Sunday, May 18, 2008

What would Shakespeare say?

There was a letter to the editor in the local paper recently by Tracy Aydelott of Morrison, CO. He wrote in response to an editorial by Philip Hamilton. I didn't read the original editorial, but I picked up enough in Mr. Aydelott's response to get the gist of it.

It seems Mr. Aydelott is upset because Mr. Hamilton doesn't believe like he does. Mr. Hamilton believes homosexual behavior to be a choice. Mr. Aydelott does not. Mr. Aydelott seems to be quite paranoid -- even though he is not homosexual, he says, how can we stand by and let Mr. Hamilton espouse his views without fearing he will come after us next?

Mr. Aydelott says the only problem he has with people is when they try to "shove alien culture and reprehensible behavior down my throat." Oh, I get it. You mean like gay pride parades, and demanding we accept gay marriage, and calling us bigots if our moral standards are high.

Mr. Aydelott says as far as he can tell, the gay and lesbian community is socially responsible. Yeah, that's why they're the ones who suffer the most from AIDS, I guess.

Mr. Aydelott says, "If your life is so devoid of worry that you have the energy to be concerned about this issue, then you are either one very fortunate individual or you're completely off your rocker." Yet he wrote a letter taking up some 13 column inches on the subject. Guess his life is pretty devoid of worry.

Mr. Aydelott stresses that he is not homosexual: "I'm as heterosexual as they come;" " . . .not any sort of advocate for the gay and lesbian community;" "Maybe you could choose to be attracted to males, but not me." Was it Shakespeare who wrote, "Methinks thou dost protest too much"?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It seems to me, Ms. (or Mr.) "not essie may", that you protest an awful lot but don't have the courage to write under you own real name. When you stop being a coward and tell everybody who you REALLY are, maybe your cowardly rants might carry some weight. Until you have enough nerve to come out of your own "closet", your rants will remain just that: ineffectual rants. You sound like someone who is a true homophobe: you're scared that you are homosexual.

Essie May said...

Well, Mr. or Ms. Anonymous, "it seems to me that you protest an awful lot but don't have the courage to write under you (sic) own real name. When you stop being a coward and tell everybody who you REALLY are, maybe your cowardly rants might carry some weight. Until you have enough nerve to come out of your own 'closet', your rants will remain just that: ineffectual rants."

Ms. or Mr. Anonymous, how do you know my name isn't actually Essie May? No, I am not afraid I'm homosexual, neither am I a homophobe. I am a realist about what God says about homosexuality, and I know that those who practice such depravity are driving our country into destruction.