Friday, May 23, 2008

We're on the slippery slope.

Yesterday, I wrote about how Obama thinks we shouldn't be allowed to keep our thermostats set on whatever temperature we want. I questioned whether or not this would require some sort of surveillance. In today's newspaper, I got my answer.

Oncor Electric Delivery's goal is to install a high-tech electricity meter in every home and business in North Texas by 2012. You will pay for this meter at the rate of $2.35 a month for 11 years.

The company boasts of the ability of this meter to collect all sorts of data about how you use electricity. Now comes the scary part. These meters allow Oncor to communicate with individual appliances in your home. They don't like how much power your refrigerator uses? They can cut it off. They can cycle your individual appliances on and off "in an emergency." If they can do it in an emergency, they can do it anytime they want.

Retail electricity providers could charge different prices for power at different times of the day, they say -- in other words, they can look at what time of day you use the most power and raise your rates for that time period. You can bet they're NOT going to use this ability to lower your rates.

I don't know about you, but I don't think Oncor needs to know how many appliances I use and at what times. If I pay my bill, they need to keep their nose out of what I'm using the power for. And if Barak gets his way, you won't even be able to decide for yourself whether your house is too hot or too cold.

Yes, my friends, I believe we're on the slippery slope toward losing our freedom.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HOW SCARY!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow...time to check out alternative energy sources....such as windmills, solar panels, etc. Although start-up for these can be expensive, it sounds as though it would be worth it for the independence and security!