Monday, October 27, 2008

Where's the dictionary?

Front page banner headline in The Paris News on October 17 read -- "Chamber tributes doers, shakers."

I don't know what dictionary they're using, but mine says "tributes" is a noun -- no reference at all to it being a verb. When I typed that phrase into my word processing program, it flagged me that it didn't make sense. Surely the newspaper has a word processor at least as sophisticated as mine.

In the same edition on page 4A, we see the headline -- "Concensus on race will take effort by all." Don't they have spell check on their computers?

The editors at the newspaper continue to insist that they have proofreaders, and the managing editor says that he, himself, reads every page before it goes to print. I guess we must be left with the conclusion that they just don't know any better.

No comments: