Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Just wait until it's free.

I am afraid of Obama's "universal health care." I'm afraid what it should be called is "universally bad health care." Even those who like the plan have their doubts when it comes to their own health. Eugene Robinson, a Washington Post columnist, says he realizes it won't be as good as the private systems we now have.

He had to have surgery on his hand recently. He says the renowned surgeon said to him as he was rolled into the operating room, "You know, if you and Obama had your way with health care, it wouldn't be me doing this operation. It would just be some guy." Robinson says he's grateful it was this surgeon and not "some guy" who wouldn't have known as much about the nerves and blood vessels in his hand as this experienced professional. Robinson says it made him think about all the people who can't afford the health care he got. He says, "The way we ration health care now -- according to the individual's ability to pay -- is immoral, and if higher taxes are needed to ensure that no one has to choose between health and bankruptcy, I'll pay."

First of all, our health care is not "rationed." That's like saying Cadillacs are rationed because not everyone can afford one. "Rationed" is when controls other than cost are placed on commodities. On the other hand, what Robinson and Obama are advocating is rationing. What he is saying is that because some people can't afford health care, we all should suffer. I don't buy that. We have safety net programs, and most people get the care they need. I don't want the inferior health care our govenrment will offer. I don't want the government telling me what doctor I must go to and what tests I may have, and I doubt anyone else does, either. If Obama gets his way, that's exactly what we'll get. If you think "universal health care" is a good idea, ask someone who lives in Canada, or Great Britain, or France -- someone who's had to wait 18 months to have a bad gall bladder removed. I guarantee you, they don't like it!

"Care you care about." The Dallas Morning News; March 18, 2009; p. 15A.

No comments: