Wednesday, March 4, 2009

What will they tax next?

State Representative Rafael Anchia has proposed a tax on plastic bags. Every time you go to the grocery store or Wal-Mart, you'll pay seven cents for each bag of merchandise you carry out. The purpose is to get people to choose paper over plastic or bring their own bags.

Number 1 -- how many stores have you been in lately that even have paper bags? I used to request paper when they had them, because they were more stable in the trunk of the car than the wimpy plastic. But no one has paper any more.

Number 2 -- if they do have paper, you'll have all the green people protesting about cutting down the forests to make the paper bags, and they'll tax those, too.

Number 3 -- when I shop, I sometimes go in for three or four items and walk out with a cart full. How many bags should I take? And where will I put them while I'm shopping? If I put my merchandise in them as I shop, will I be suspected of shoplifting?

Number 4 -- just what the retailer needs -- another tax to report!

The Dallas Morning News says, "Perhaps paying 7 cents will compel consumers to use common sense at the check-out by taking a pass on the plastic." I think perhaps The Morning News should use some common sense in their silly editorials!

"Think Twice at Checkout." The Dallas Morning News; March 4, 2009; p. 10A.

No comments: