Thursday, May 7, 2009

Wonder how much of a bonus this ad-man got?

Have you seen the new Nutri-System commercial? The lady is raving about the food, and she says, "Each meal is better than the next!" Doesn't that mean it's getting worse and worse? How did the ad people let that one slip by? Worse, how did Nutri-System let it slip by?

Then there is the commercial about the Tide detergent vehicle that goes to disaster areas and helps people get their clothes washed. The lady in that one says, "You don't know how basic essentials are until you don't have them." Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but essentials are basics, aren't they? I'm sure what the lady meant was, "You don't know how much you'll miss your basics until you don't have them." Again, how did the ad people let that one slip through? Are these instances an indication of carelessness or ignorance?

And I'll close today with a funny. There is a road in Dallas called Manana Road. I know that most everybody knows that's the Spanish word for tomorrow, and that it's pronounced man-yan-a. Everybody that is except the new Yankee news anchor on Channel 8. There was an accident at Manana Road and I35 yesterday. When he segued to the traffic report, he gave the location of the accident, but he pronounced it like banana with an "m." Surely his hispanic co-anchor clued him in during the break!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a hoot..I can't wait to see the Nutri Systems ad! I hadn't noticed, but I pretty much tune them out.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you are the only blogger that is complaining about that. It bothers me to no end every time I see the commercial. She should have said "how important basic essentials are" which is still a little redundant, but at least it is grammatically correct.

Anonymous said...

I caught the tide one as well and I enjoy the nutri-system even though that one is a figure of speech that is quite common...but I have to say it's a little unfair to the anchor depending on if the road/telepromter has an enyay (sp?) aka ñ which you yourself left off. You can't judge him without the accent, that's why they have them!!!

Essie May said...

You've missed the point on the Nutri-System one -- she said it backwards -- If each meal is better than the next, then they're getting worse. What she meant was each meal is better than the last. As far as the name of the road, it is a well-known road in the Dallas area. Tilde or not, a Dallas news anchor should have known how to pronounce it. As an example, both the road and the popular Casa Manana playhouse in Ft. Worth are often typed without the tilde.