Friday, December 18, 2009

Propaganda hits Paris ISD.

In October, Paris Independent School District wasted three academic days with one of those touchy-feely seminars for junior high and high school students. I have no idea how much it cost monetarily, but I suspect a good deal. The "experts" were brought in from California.

The first thing I disagree with: The "experts" challenged students to talk openly with others about their feelings. When you're a teenager, you have feelings that no one else needs to know about. You're in the throes of raging hormones, uncertainty, and a desire to be accepted. Someday, revelations about what you're really feeling might be an embarrassment to you. Some things are just better left unsaid.

The second thing I disagree with: One student challenged his classmates to "trust each other." That's a dangerous thing to do. Not all people are trustworthy. In fact, it's been my experience that the untrustworthies far outnumber the truly trustworthies. The students were encouraged to share embarrassing stories about themselves. The better advice is to never share a secret if you want it to be kept a secret.

The third thing I disagree with: Team leaders promoted self-esteem. My observation is that teenagers today suffer from an over-abundance of self-esteem. They need to look around them and see that they are not the center of the universe. For example, the student who challenged his classmates to "trust each other" said, "I look for you to be there for me." If he's truly learning the lesson, wouldn't he have said, "You can be sure I'll be there for you"?

The fourth thing I disagree with: One of the "experts" said, "You can't be measured by who your friends are." As my mama used to say, "Birds of a feather flock together," and "If you lie down with the dogs, you'll get up with fleas." There's also an old adage, "A man is known by the company he keeps." If you run around with hoodlums, you'll gain their reputation and pick up their bad habits.

The fifth thing I disagree with: Tymondre Robinson, a student, said, "I would have never thought that some people would become friends, but after Challenge Day they did." You can't tell if someone is a friend after only one day. A friend is tested by time. A Travis counselor said, "After Challenge Day, during lunch several of our students sat with other students they do not normally associate with. It was truly impressive and heartwarming . . ." If all those people who proclaimed instant friendships after Challenge Day are still friends today (2 months later), I'd be surprised.

I guess I'm a bit of a paranoid, but I see some sinister undertones in this "trust everybody" philosophy, and I'm a bit concerned about it being spoonfed to our children. The first thing that comes to my mind is government control. Trust the government! It knows what's good for you!

"Students take the Challenge." The Paris News; November 1, 2009; p. 1A.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A big AMEN on this one Essie!