Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Salvation Army succumbs to pc pressure.

Mr. Essie May and I have supported the Salvation Army for many years. I've always thought they did a pretty good job of screening their applicants and effectively using their money. But this year, they are bowing to pc pressure.

In assessing applicants for Christmas help, they have always asked for a social security number. This was to insure that greedy scam artists weren't going to multiple locations to load up on Santa's goodies. Someone complained that the Army was using this method to cull out illegal aliens. Even if they were, that's also good stewardship. If I wanted to help Mexicans, I'd send my money to Mexico. So the Houston area Salvation Army will no longer ask for a SS number. "After much consideration and looking at what was being said, we realized there was so much confusion out there," said Spokesman Juan Alanis.

The new policy goes into effect next year. My donations stop next year.

"Toy drive changes policy." The Dallas Morning News; December 4, 2009; p. 4A.

No comments: