Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Jack in the Box -- cute or smut?

I'm not a football fan, but I do enjoy a good commercial. So I tuned in for some of the Super Bowl last weekend. To my surprise, I enjoyed the game (the last quarter, anyway) but found the commercials either total duds or just so-so.

The commercial that really caught my attention, though, didn't attract me in the way the advertisers obviously had hoped. It was the Jack in the Box hot tub commercial. If you didn't see it, it featured two swinging couples (of course, Jack was one of the foursome) in a hot tub. They discussed making a "Jack sandwich." I know the company will defend themselves that everything in the ad was totally innocent, and they only intended the literal interpretation of making the Jack sandwich. But anybody not born yesterday knows exactly what the implication was.

Jack in the Box crossed the line! Most of the Jack commercials have been cute and funny. This one was neither. It is a sad example of how far down into the depths of degradation our country has fallen. Hey, Jack in the Box -- if you can't sell your sandwich without resorting to smut advertising, then it must not be a very good sandwich! And Jack in the Box is not the only offender. Another I can think of right off the bat is Kia. One of their "relationship" commercials is almost as bad as the Jack in the Box one. And you can't turn on your TV without an erectile dysfunction commercial -- can you imagine a toddler seeing those commercials and asking, "What's e.d.?" How's mom or dad going to explain that one? And the guy who acts like he's proud of the fact, "I have genital herpes, but my partner doesn't." And I can't think of a single sitcom that doesn't have promiscuous characters with the implication that that's just the way things are. That may, indeed, be the way things are, but it's certainly not the way things should be!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is SMUT! I'll not eat a jumbo jack until they remove that filth from their commercial list. Kudos for a great blog entry.