Wednesday, July 30, 2008

"I have no mercy for you." Susan Atkins, 1969

If you were alive in August 1969, you remember the horror we all felt when seven people in California were brutally murdered in what appeared to be some sort of ritual killing. Movie actress Sharon Tate, four visitors to her home, and Leno and Rosemary LaBianca were stabbed repeatedly and their blood used to leave scrawled messages.

If you weren't alive then, perhaps you've read Vince Bugliosi's account of the murders and ensuing trial -- Helter Skelter. It is a book not easy to put down, and I promise it will give you nightmares. The perpetrators of these crimes were heartless, cold, automatons controlled by perhaps the most evil, maniacal person this world has ever seen -- Charles Manson. These weren't murders committed because of rage, a desire for money, or jealousy. They were murders with no motive other than Charles Manson's drug-fueled fantasies.

Susan Atkins was one of Manson's "family." She has now been in prison for almost 40 years. She is dying of brain cancer. She petitioned the Board of Parole for a compassionate release. In 1993 when Miss Atkins came up for parole, she spoke of Sharon Tate. "She asked me to let her baby live. I told her I didn't have mercy for her." Her brother said, "Please let us be with Susan in private in her last days, to pray with her and give our last goodbyes."

I'm sure Leno and Rosemary LaBiana's children would have appreciated being able to pray with their parents before they died. I'm sure Sharon Tate's husband and sisters would have liked to be with her in private in her last days. I'm sure Abigail Folger's family would have liked to say goodbye to her.

I feel compassion toward anyone facing their last days. But that doesn't erase what Susan Atkins did. She should have been put to death 40 years ago for the atrocities she committed. I hope she has used that 40 years to make her peace with God. As far as the California Parole Board -- they have no mercy for her. Her request has been denied.

"Manson follower is denied release." The Dallas Morning News; July 16, 2008; p. 9A.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thank God that there is still some sanity in our country....her release would have been the straw that broke the camel's back!

Anonymous said...

Actually I am glad she didn't get the death sentence! This is much better!