Sunday, March 7, 2010

Aw, Judge, give him another chance!

James Giraldo pleaded guilty to manslaughter for killing 27-year-old Juliana Rincon-Cuartas in October 2008 as he drove drunk the wrong way on the Dallas North Tollway. He begged the jury for leniency. He says he thinks about Juliana every day. He has her picture on his refrigerator. "It's one of the most difficult things I've ever had to deal with in my whole life . . . I think about her family. I think about what I took away from the family because of my own stupidity."

I think James is a good actor and just doesn't want to go to prison -- because if he really was so remorseful, it's not likely he would have been arrested again last August driving drunk on the Dallas North Tollway.

His attorney asks if justice is always imprisonment. Maybe not always, but unfortunately, the death penalty can't be used in this case. And the jury saw it that way, too. They imposed the maximum sentence.

"Drunken driver asks jury for leniency." The Dallas Morning News; February 5, 2010; p. 3B.

No comments: