Sunday, March 21, 2010

You'll have to excuse my son . . .

When I was a child and I threw a temper tantrum, I got a smack on the butt. When kids throw temper tantrums now, they get a diagnosis. Doctors are recommending new labels for what my parents and grandparents would have called a spoiled brat. For children who "have bursts of rage and can be moody, anxious and irritable," the diagnosis is "temper dysregulation disorder with dysphoria." How many kids do you know who don't have "temper dysregulation disorder with dysphoria"? I think these doctors have a deficiency called "wits not exceeding 50% of capacity."

Paris News funny for the day: When actor Corey Haim died last week, The Paris News headline read "Corey Haim prolonged tragic Hollywood tradition." Prolonged? They were referring to the numerous child stars who come to tragic ends. I guess this means The Paris News prolongs stupidity in journalism.

"Diagnostic changes proposed." The Dallas Morning News; February 10, 2010; p. 1A.

No comments: