Sunday, August 15, 2010

But I was a good boy!

Willie Reed carjacked a man at a Lake Highlands 7-Eleven in 2002. Before that, in 1994, he went to prison for eight years for two robberies in Tarrant County. He was sentenced to 14 years for the carjacking.

In February 2009, a clerical error led to Reed's release. He was out of prison for 11 months before the error was discovered and he was re-arrested. During that time, he married, enrolled in college, and bought a car.

Reed thinks it's unfair that he must complete his sentence. "There was so much I wanted to do that I'd just dreamed of doing. I just don't understand . . .I just wanted my freedom." I understand, Willie. It's called paying your debt to society. You were sentenced to 14 years. Even if you led an exemplary life for the 341 days you got out, you still have to pay for pointing a gun at a man's head and demanding his keys.

Reed thinks he's been further "insulted" since he was denied parole after he was re-incarcerated. I don't know about his victim, but I would be insulted if the person who threatened to kill me received parole just because he thinks he "did good" by taking advantage of a clerical error. Reed says he "earned" his freedom. No, he didn't -- he earned a 14-year prison sentence!

The clerical error which freed him was that he was erroneously marked down for a 5 year sentence instead of the 14 year sentence. Reed says since the error wasn't his fault, he should have to serve only 5 years. His mother says putting him back in jail is not right. "The court system is messed up," she says. Well, at least I can agree with her there. Whoever let him out in the first place should be fired.

And what about this exemplary life he led while he was out? Well, he married. But I have to wonder if he was really a changed man -- his wife has filed for divorce and hasn't spoken to him since he was sent back to prison. If he was really a good man and had really changed, wouldn't she be standing by him?

Reed's attorney says, "I'm not sure legally he has the right to be out. But it's the fair thing to do." I'm no attorney, but I'm sure he doesn't "legally" have the right to be out. He was sentenced to 14 years. And the fair thing to do is to make him serve his sentence for threatening to kill a man and stealing his car.

The way I see it, old Willie may have been a good boy while he was out. But he's not in the pen for being a good boy. He's in the pen because he was a bad boy.

"Man seeks more credit for good behavior outside jail." The Dallas Morning News; July 6, 2010; p. 1A.

No comments: