Sunday, August 29, 2010

Where are the black people?

A few of the black people in our community like to label the whole city as a bunch of racists. So some very well-meaning people have come up with the "Diversity Task Force" to bring the races together. I'm not sure we have a problem to begin with, but if we do, I have an observation to make.

The Task Force recently had a diversity dinner where people of all colors were to come together to discuss relationships, issues, etc. The photograph in the newspaper was quite revealing. I counted 27 white people in the photograph, and 5 black people. They didn't say, but I'm quite sure that table seating was intentionally planned to reflect "diversity." If that's the case, there weren't even enough black people at the event to insure that each table had black representation.

That's my observation, now here's my question: If a problem exists, which race is really serious about addressing it?

"Discussion groups search for strengths among differences." The Paris News; August 2, 2010; p. 1A.

No comments: