Thursday, January 13, 2011

Kids grow up too quickly.

Have you heard of Planet Kidz? It's an every Friday night program for 3rd to 8th graders in the metroplex area. "It's a club," said Sade McCall, age 9. "No one is bossing us around." Parents pay $10 per child, and it lasts from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m.

I guess I'm just too old-fashioned, but I think elementary school children are too young to be involved in a Friday night "club" where "no one is bossing us around." What's wrong with staying home with your parents on Friday nights? Aside from occasional sleep-overs with friends, I was either at my home or at my grandparents' home on Fridays. I always looked forward to that time to spend with my family. No homework and no pressure on Friday nights! It was time to be a kid.

Harry Stephens said his 8-year-old son likes the chance to "have a social life." My goodness! What does an 8-year-old know about a "social life"? An 8-year-old's "social life" should consist of friends to play with at recess, after school, and on Saturdays. Oh, but I forgot -- most schools don't have recess anymore. "It's just a chance for him to get away . . ." Get away from what? He's 8 years old! If he needs to get away from home, perhaps Mr. Stephens should examine his parenting skills. "Without it, he'd probably just be sitting home." Perish the thought!

"Friday night events give preteens a place to dance, socialize." The Dallas Morning News; January 6, 2011; p. 5B.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL, an 8-year old that "needs to get away"!!!