Saturday, January 8, 2011

What if . . .

Lance Mitchell of Lakeway, Texas, doesn't like the speed traps in his community. "Not a lot of people flash their lights to warn others nowadays," he says, "But I DO! And when I see a speed trap, I go back up the road a bit, and stand on the sidewalk, wearing my SpeedTrapAhead T-shirt."

He says he hasn't gotten many tickets, so I have to wonder why he is so opposed to people who are breaking the law being caught. ". . .I've had one ticket in the last 25 years. I'm an excellent driver." Hmm, who else said, "I'm an excellent driver"? Oh, I remember -- Dustin Hoffman in the role of the Rainman as he drove that old car over first one curb then the other!

At any rate, I wonder how Mr. Speed Trap Ahead will feel if he warns a speeder of a radar trap, and the speeder zooms on ahead when he's out of radar range and ends up killing someone because of excessive speed? How ironic would it be if the speeder's victim happened to be one of Mr. Speed Trap's loved ones?

"Speed-trap activist isn't slowing." The Dallas Morning News; January 3, 2011; p. 3A.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great point Essie, I hope he reads your blog. It might be a big wake-up call for him.