Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A little gratitude might be called for.

There was an article in the paper recently about how nursing homes are growing younger. About one in seven people in nursing homes is under the age of 65.

One case cited was that of Adam Martin. Adam is 26, and he lives in a nursing home in Florida. His brother accidentally shot him in the neck, and he was left a quadriplegic. He was pictured with his physical therapist. While I am sympathetic to his plight and wouldn't wish such a fate on my worst enemy, I have a bit of a problem with his attitude.

I have a sneaking suspicion that we are paying for Adam's care through Medicaid and SSI. Adam says of the the nursing home, "It's just a depressing place to live. I'm stuck here. You don't have no privacy at all . . .all you're seeing is negative, negative, negative." I think Adam should be positively grateful that he has a place to go and someone to pay for it. I think Adam should be positively grateful that he has the benefit of a physical therapist. I think Adam should start looking at all the negative, negative, negative around him and see how he might bring a positive ray of sunshine into the place. He might find that his own life wouldn't be quite so negative if he did that.

"Nursing homes growing younger." The Dallas Morning News; January 8, 2011; p. 10A.

No comments: