Friday, November 18, 2011

Did you hear about . . .?

I wonder how many of you have heard about the hate crimes that occurred a week ago in the Midwood neighborhood of Brooklyn, New York. Midwood is inhabited primarily by Orthodox Jews. Last Friday night, vandals scrawled swastikas on park benches and torched cars by igniting gasoline soaked rags underneath them. State Assemblyman Dov Hikind said he had not seen such violence in 29 years of representing the area.

I found out about these crimes because I generally read the newspaper cover to cover every day. It was reported in a news brief column on page 7A two days after it happened. Now, I wonder how many of you would have heard about it had it occurred in a black or gay neighborhood? And I wonder if it would have been two days after it happened before it was briefly mentioned on page 7A. What do you think?

"Residents of Orthodox area protest vandalism." The Dallas Morning News; November 14, 2011; p. 7A.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think if it had been in a black or gay neighborhood it would have been breaking news on TV, plastered on the front page of the paper, and would have REMAINED a hot topic for weeks or MONTHS!