Wednesday, November 23, 2011

It's called personal responsibility.

Colleen McCain Nelson is complaining about the lack of response from the City of Dallas on an illegal dumping site. She toured a South Dallas neighborhood with the mayor, and a bunch of trash he had earlier reported was still there. They stopped to talk to two of the neighborhood residents.

The two residents were men standing out in the driveway drinking beer. When Mayor Rawlins introduced himself, it became apparent that neither of them spoke English. Not to worry - Mayor Rawlins had a translator with him. "What's the best thing about your neighborhood," he asked. "There's nothing good here," was the reply.

The trash in question was pictured. It would easily have fit in one of the two pickups in the driveway in the photo. If there were trash dumped across from my house, and the city had not picked it up when I reported it, I'd try to contact the owner of the property. If that failed, I'd back my truck up there and haul it to the dump myself. Maybe if those two guys busy drinking beer had that attitude, there might be something good about their neighborhood. But that would require a little personal responsibility and pride in one's surroundings.

"On tour with mayor." The Dallas Morning News; November 18, 2011; p. 25A.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They are probably the ones that dumped it there! My guess is they were missing "home" and created that dump. I remember the streets of Mexico being filled with trash.