Tuesday, November 8, 2011

How do they know?

The Creek Point Apartments in McKinney, a section 8 housing project, has a rule -- children under the age of 18 are not allowed outside without a parent. I'm sure that rule was not implemented on a whim. The complex management says the rule was implemented after problems with vandalism. The Apartment complex is now being sued because Robert and Zinia Guerrero were fined $50 when their son was spotted running around the complex without adult supervision.

Robert says, "I have no idea who was doing what, but what I can tell you is that my kids were not out there doing things they were not supposed to." How does he know if he wasn't with them? At any rate, his son was doing something he wasn't supposed to be doing -- the complex rules say he can't be out without supervision. If the taxpayers are subsidizing Robert's rent, then they have a right to set the ground rules. If Robert doesn't like the rules, he can pay his own rent and live just as he chooses.

"I never in my wildest dreams thought that I would have to hang out with a 13-year-old in a parking lot when I had other things to do," Robert says. Well, Robert, a 13-year-old has no business hanging out in a parking lot. If he doesn't have anything more constructive than that to do, you need to put him to work doing some chores. As my Grandma used to say, "Idle hands are the devil's workshop."

"Family challenges fine for unsupervised teen." The Dallas Morning News; October 19, 2011; p. 1B.

No comments: