Friday, February 17, 2012

I feel so safe!

Dallas County has a homeland security advisory comittee. It recommends improvements to the county's emergency management plan. Its members are appointed by the Commissioners Court. Commissioner John Wiley Price appointed Aaron McCarthy, aka Aaron Michaels to the committee.

I know there are some legitimate reasons for using an alias, but my antennae immediately go on the alert when I come across someone who feels it necessary to use more than one name. And my antennae really started twitching when I found out that Mr. McCarthy/Michaels is the founder of the New Black Panther Party, and in the 1990's he led the group in threatening and intimidating Dallas School Board members. He was arrested for disrupting a public meeting when he grabbed the microphone and declared he didn't mind dying "for the cause."

Now, don't you feel safer?

Thankfully, McCarthy's term expired at the end of January, and it looks as if, rather than re-appoint him, they're just going to disband the committee.

"Vote off on New Black Panther founder." The Dallas Morning News; January 24, 2012; p. 1B.

No comments: