Thursday, March 8, 2012

The Leppert's spots don't seem to change.

I haven't decided for sure who I'm voting for in the race for Kay Bailey Hutchison's Senate seat, but I can tell you who I'm not voting for.

Tom Leppert marched in the Dallas gay pride parade at least twice. My problem is not so much that he did it (though I do find it repugnant) -- we've all done things that we shouldn't have done. My problem is that he is defending what he did. He's not changed his attitude one iota. He says that his job as mayor was to "represent everybody in this city." Does he think he was representing his Christian constituents when he celebrated gay pride?

One of the lesser known candidates for the seat, Lela Pettinger, summed it up very well when she said, "Christ reached people in many different ways. The Pharisees hated him because he ate dinner with sinners. . . .While he ate dinner with them, I don't believe he marched along with them as they were going down to have an orgy or have any sort of drunken revelries . . . I'm not going to walk down the street with them [gays] celebrating what I believe to be a sin."

"Rivals blast Leppert's march in gay rights parades." The Dallas Morning News; February 23, 2012; p. 1B.

No comments: