Saturday, April 21, 2012

Birds of a Feather . . .

One of my mother's favorite sayings was, "Birds of a feather flock together." I can't tell you how many times I heard that as I was growing up. I thought of that when I read about Abake Assongba.

Abake Assongba runs a charity called Abake's Foundation that purportedly distributes school supplies and food in Benin, Africa. She is accused of an email scam dating from 2009. I don't know all the details of the scam, but evidently she posed as a bank official and defrauded Swiss businessman Klaus-Werner Pusch of $650,000. She then used the money to help build herself a mansion in Florida.

Who does Assongba "flock" with? She is listed (or was) on Obama's website as one of 440 volunteer fundraisers, and she just this year contributed $50,000 to the Obama's. She joins brothers Carlos and Alberto Cardona whose brother is a Mexican fugitive wanted on federal drug charges. The Cardona's gave $200,000 to Obama. That money, however, was returned after someone publicized the connection.

My mother was a wise woman.

"Major Obama donor facing fraud claims." The Dallas Morning News; April 2, 2012; p. 6A.

No comments: