Thursday, April 19, 2012

Wonder why that is?

Since the big brouhaha in Florida over the shooting (justified or not) of Trayvon Martin, there has been a call by some Texas legislators to re-examine Texas's castle doctrine -- that law that gives a home or business owner the right to protect what's his. The law states that a person has no duty to retreat from an attack in his home, vehicle or place of business.

Representative Garnet Coleman is one of those asking that we change the law. He says that it has disproportionate consequences on people of color. Now, wait just a minute . . . is he admitting that more people "of color" break into people's houses and carjack people? Sounds like it to me. I can't think of any other reason the consequences would be "disproportionate." I can tell you this -- if I wake up in the night and I see the shadow of a stranger in my room, I'm not going to ask if he's white or black before I shoot him.

"'Castle Doctrine' re-examined." The Dallas Morning News; April 2, 2012; p. 2A.

No comments: