Friday, April 25, 2014

Who's footing the bill?


Stephen Foote of McKinney says that it is no violation of employers' rights to force them to buy contraception they believe is a sin. Stephen says that is backward thinking. "Employee health insurance does not belong to the employer," he says.

Maybe not, but the employer is paying for it. I've used this illustration before, but here's the twist Stephen's erroneous thinking adds. Suppose I don't believe in drinking, and I take my friend out for dinner. I tell him it's my treat and he may order anything he likes except that I won't pay for an alcoholic drink, because I don't believe in imbibing. However, I add, he won't offend me if he wants to buy his own drink. My friend says, "You have no right to refuse to pay for my drink, because it doesn't belong to you."

If that happened to you, you'd swear your friend just escaped from the loony bin. And you'd probably be right.

"Rick Warren is wrong." The Dallas Morning News; March 30, 2014; p. 2P.


No comments: