Sunday, September 21, 2008

DISD is saved!

I posted a couple of days ago on the DISD crisis -- an unexpected $64 million budget shortfall. Now, district administration is saying it may be as much as $80 million.

But not to worry -- Superintendent Michael Hinojosa has come up with a solution. He is going to take a 5% cut (about $19,000) on his $379,000 salary! DISD is saved! Now all they have to do is come up with $63,981,o00 more. Piece of cake!

I guess Mr. Hinojosa thought this would be a grand gesture, but it did nothing more than make him look foolish. A grand gesture would have been, "I want to personally contribute something to solving this crisis, so I will relinquish enough of my salary so that two teachers can stay." He'd still be making more than $200,000, and he would have done something meaningful -- at least to the two whose jobs he saved. If he's not willing to go that far, he should have kept his measly $19,000 and kept his mouth shut!

No comments: