Saturday, September 13, 2008

I long for the good old days.

Yesterday, I wrote about the young girl I saw in Wal-Mart in a very suggestive t-shirt. I've also written about the North Lamar High School drama department staging "Urinetown," a musical including those old Broadway favorites, "It's a Privilege to Pee" and "Snuff the Girl."

I sat down last night to read the September issue of one of my favorite magazines -- Reminisce Extra. It features stories and photos of the "old days" sent in by readers. One photo on page 28 really caught my attention. It was the 1937 Kindergarten class from Martin, Tennessee. All the children are posed on the playground merry-go-round with their teachers sitting beside them.

You can almost smell the starch in the little dresses and the hair cream on the little boys! The lady who submitted the photo said, "Everyone was dressed in the same manner, and properness and politeness were just natural parts of our lives."

How sad that we can't say that today. The person who is proper and polite today is called prudish, unenlightened, unsophisticated, a rube, and out-of-it. I guess it's just a fulfillment of scripture -- the Bible says that in the last days, people will call evil good and good evil. You know, hard as it would be, I think I'd give up my modern appliances just to go back to a time when properness and politeness were just natural parts of our lives.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

EVEN YOUR COMPUTER?

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you. Kids nowadays do not know about the proper and polite way to act! They have poor role models, their parents!

Essie May said...

Even my computer! Much as I love the internet, the ease of communication, and all the convenience offered by my computer, I kind of get the feeling sometimes that the internet is more of a curse than a blessing. It has caused hurt, broken families, and it's just too easy to spread lies with it. It's like so many other things we have -- if they were used in the way they were intended to be used everybody would benefit. But there are too many malicious idiots in the world who hijack the good things and mess them up for everybody. All that said, I don't intend to get rid of my computer -- Just wish we could get rid of all the idiots instead.