Saturday, December 27, 2008

Diversity Training - what an insult!

The Paris News recently reported on a diversity training seminar for our police department. If someone suggests I need diversity training, I take it as an insult. What they are really saying is that I am a racist. That is not the case. I look at and treat people according to the way they behave, not according to the color of their skin. Perhaps I am perceived to be a racist because I don't excuse bad behaviour from anyone, no matter the color of his skin or where he lives.

The diversity expert from this seminar was black. Have you ever noticed they all seem to be black? I think we may need to provide some diversity training for the diversity training folks. He said that police officers should offer encouragement to people "even if it's just a smile." I told Mr. Essie May that the next time I get arrested for dealing drugs, that policeman better darn well smile when he says, "Spread 'em! You have the right to remain silent . . ." I want to know that my diversity training dollars were well-spent!

At any rate, I really started this to encourage the newspaper to provide some abbreviation training for their staff. It seems the Police Department's Corporal John Berry, who was quoted in the article, has been promoted to "Col. John Berry." I know he will be pleased!

"Diversity seminar stresses communication." The Paris News; December 21, 2008; p. 1.

No comments: