Sunday, December 14, 2008

How about some of that old Christmas spirit?

I've been thinking about a lot of the old Christmas songs and the way they have of evoking such a happy, warm Christmas spirit. Just think of the melodies and the words to songs like:

"Chestnuts roasting on an open fire, Jack Frost nipping at your nose, yuletide carols being sung by a choir, and folks dressed up like Eskimoes. . . . Although it's been said many times, many ways, Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas to you."

"City sidewalks, busy sidewalks, dressed in holiday style. In the air there's a feeling of Christmas. Children laughing, people passing, meeting smile after smile, And on every street corner you hear: Silver bells, silver bells, It's Christmas time in the city. Ring-a-ling, hear them ring, soon it will be Christmas day."

"I'm dreaming of a white Christmas, just like the ones I used to know. Where the treetops glisten and children listen, to hear sleighbells in the snow. . ."

"Have yourself a merry little Christmas, Let your heart be light. From now on, our troubles will be out of sight. Have yourself a merry little Christmas. Make the Yuletide gay. From now on, our troubles will be miles away."

"I'll be home for Christmas. You can count on me. Please have snow and mistletoe and presents on the tree. Christmas Eve will find me where the love light gleams. I'll be home for Christmas if only in my dreams."

And hundreds of others. Where and when did society at large lose the true meaning and spirit of Christmas? I don't think the people who wrote those songs ever envisioned a day when Wal-Mart employees would be trampled to death by greedy shoppers who then refused to leave the store for the investigation because they'd been standing in line for hours. Maybe we lost Christmas when society decided "Merry Christmas" was too un-pc and opted to go for "Happy Holidays" instead. Maybe we lost it when society decided to take Christ out of Christmas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you.I take notice when someone says Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas. I think they are saying the wrong thing even if they don't really mean to. I don't know how to get it back to the old way but i really would if I could!