Wednesday, July 6, 2011

How much is enough?

You'll find few people more patriotic than I am. I believe in the principles upon which our nation was founded. I believe in a strong defense, and I believe we should support the people who make up our armed forces. We do owe those men and women who place their lives on the line to protect our freedoms.

However, I'm just a little concerned with the attitude that because my husband serves in the military, you should give me whatever I want. Here's my example.

Anne Curtis lives in Harker Heights near Ft. Hood. Her husband is currently serving in Iraq. Anne had an iPhone. She lost it. She says it is causing extreme difficulty for her and her two sons, because they cannot receive calls from her husband. She thinks it is unfair that she is expected to pay the $400 replacement cost for the phone, because she opted not to take out insurance on it. But, she says, she only paid $49 for the original phone. But that was an offer contingent upon her signing a contract with the company. She says she was not told when she bought the phone that she could take out insurance. I find that difficult to believe. When was the last time you bought any sort of electronic gizmo that salesman didn't try to get you to take the insurance? It's so prevalent, that I recently bought a $59 desk lamp at Office Max, and they wanted to know if I wanted the extended warranty on it.

She says she feared for her family's economic well-being if she had to pay for a new phone. I say that if money is that tight, she shouldn't be spending money on a cellphone. Yes, it's nice to be able to communicate with your loved ones who are far away, but what does she think military folks did in Vietnam, Korea, and WW II? They depended on the mail or occasional phone calls.

Instead of saying, "I really messed up when I didn't buy the insurance, and I wonder if the company might graciously cut me some slack," Anne wonders " . . . if this is just the way that cellphone companies can treat customers these days."

So, AT&T, afraid of negative publicity, I'm sure, has sent Anne another phone. I think Anne has an entitlement attitude, and I am not impressed.


"Serviceman's wife gets help replacing lost iPhone." The Dallas Morning News; June 19, 2011; p. 3B.

No comments: